Thanks to technological advances and changing tastes, there are so many more options for roofs today than there were a few years ago. Property owners with roof needs must therefore be overwhelmed with the choice of which permanent roof type is suitable for their needs, in order to satisfy their needs, meet their budget and last the longest. Metal roofing is a popular roofing material that is trending lately. It’s one of the most popular rooftop options for many homeowners and commercial property owners. Hence, it is likely that you will want to consider the material for your next roof project or update. To get the right look and make the process seamless, you need to equip yourself with a few Ideas for metal roofs This allows you to weigh the pros and cons of this type of roof compared to other materials on the market. Whether you are a homeowner, general contractor, commercial builder or architect, this one Metal roof ideas for your home will serve as an indispensable tool in deciding what type of metal roof to choose for your roofing project.
There are a total of five common materials for metal roofing projects, including classic copper, atmospheric zinc, affordable aluminum, stainless steel and galvalume. Of course, each of these types of metal roofs has its unique advantages and disadvantages. And it should go without saying that you discuss these metal roofing ideas with your contractor before deciding on one.
An excellent place to start before choosing a metal roofing type for your roofing needs is to find out the costs, qualities, advantages and disadvantages of each type of metal roofing material so that you can make an informed decision. We’ve created this guide with advice from our general contracting and renovation teams so you know everything about any roofing material and type – since roofs are an expensive investment that you’ll want to get right the first time.
Galvalume offers one of the best Ideas for metal roof houses for any type of structure thanks to its minimal appearance. This roofing material is made up of three metal materials including zinc, aluminum and steel. It is also often made using carbon steel based sheet metal immersed in zinc, silicon, and a concentration of aluminum alloy. The advanced process ensures that every roofing material with these three chemicals is of the best quality – no wonder why it is always among the best Ideas for metal roofs and materials and is in great demand in the market.
- It is available in an endless variety of pre-painted colors, giving the user the flexibility of choice when shoppers are trying to compare roof types to their roofing needs.
- Galvalume is the cheapest of all roof types. You can easily find the roofing material for a price that ranges from $ 75 to $ 250 per square foot. This depends on the panel desired, thickness and color or choice of surface.
- It’s also the most durable type of roof on the market today, as it can last for several decades without causing corrosion or weather-related damage.
- The sheen and unique hues you see on a Galvalume metal roof go away over time, which is a major drawback.
- Galvalume is durable and can perform well when not in contact with other materials such as concrete, iron, brick, and copper. This complicates the work and maintenance.
Aluminum is classified as the third most common metal on earth. And it’s a popular choice for roofers around the world and deserves consideration when you think about it Decoration ideas for metal roofs. It can withstand extreme and harsh weather conditions and always looks clean. Aluminum roofs are also perfect for completing a state-of-the-art structure.
- Aluminum roofs are reliable and can withstand any weather, making them a smart choice for home builders.
- With increasing age of the aluminum roofs, only minimal corrosion effects occur. It has a super durable quality and can last for generations without corrosion.
- An aluminum-metal roof is an essential aspect of Metal roof shed ideas because of its light weight and its superior strength.
- It’s cheaper and has a general price range of $ 200 to $ 575 per roof square, depending on the thickness.
- Aluminum roofing contractors aren’t hard to find, and the installation process isn’t too cumbersome.
- Aluminum roofs age and lose their natural color over time.
- It can be greatly affected by poor weather conditions over time. This can be averted if the roof installer uses roof panels, the color of which is hardly changed due to aging or bad weather.
- Aluminum roofs are prone to bulging due to their low weight compared to other types of metal roofs. For example, if you’re building a structure under trees, an aluminum roof may not be the best option as the branches and wood that inevitably fall from the tree can damage your aluminum roof.
- Aluminum is also not as compatible with winter weather as snow and ice.
Still looking for the perfect Metal roof decoration ideas? Then zinc roofing is another exceptionally good choice for covering your structure. Recently, due to its timeless appeal and rugged feel, zinc has become increasingly popular as a top roofer for many contractors and homeowners. The material is also not difficult to source, which makes it a celebrated mainstay in the metal roofing industry.
- Zinc metal roofs can last up to a hundred years, making them an ideal choice for commercial rooftop buildings, industrial factories, and residential homes. This should make zinc materials a top choice to consider when considering Metal roof design ideas for any structure.
- Zinc is known to be completely environmentally friendly and contains fewer toxins than other roofing materials even after manufacture. It can also be made with a lower amount of energy compared to other types of metal, as it is a non-ferrous material that is perfect for a solar roof.
- Zinc roofs are also characterized by self-healing properties, as they have an outer protective layer that prevents dents, corrosion, panel leakage and other things that affect the quality and durability of a roofing material.
- Zinc is the perfect choice for any builder who is looking for quality and wants to make the most of the available resources Ideas for metal roof houses designed to last. The low maintenance requirement also ensures that you do not have to spend too much time or money on maintenance after installation.
- One of the main drawbacks to zinc metal roofs is their relatively high price, as a single square of roof can cost anywhere from $ 600 to $ 800. Aside from that, it’s also subject to canned oil, just like other well-known metal roof types can often succumb.
Copper roofs have been included in many top contractor lists Design ideas for metal roofs It has been one of the oldest and most famous roofing materials in history for ages. Copper plates and coils have been used to lift residential and commercial buildings for many centuries, and the quality of roofing material has been repeatedly demonstrated to the extent that there is no valid reason to doubt the effectiveness of a copper roofing material. Copper roofs are elegant and age well and are less likely to be combined with a modern home. And it’s also a great addition to a structure for cladding and detailed work.
- Copper is light compared to other roofing materials like wood shingles, bricks or concrete. This unique quality makes it easy for a plumber to lift and manipulate as desired without negatively affecting your structure over time, as other metal roofing materials can be much heavier over time and affect the structural integrity of your home.
- Copper roofing metal can withstand adverse weather conditions, pressure, and other factors that can deteriorate its quality over time. In other words, it is completely durable and safe for residential projects. No wonder why many consider it a point of contact when searching Ideas for metal roofs Online that are classic and have a charming sense of grandeur.
- Copper is an expensive roofing material and its availability is low. It also requires individual installers who have completed the necessary training to install copper roofs.
- When freshly installed it looks sharp, but ages with a darker, uneven patina over time. If that naturally aged look isn’t for you, consider using a different roofing material as this option is expensive to update and replace.
STAINLESS STEEL ROOF
Stainless steel is a common roofing choice for many homeowners and commercial property owners. It contains 10.5 chrome and has long been considered the perfect choice for architecturally unique buildings. And its timeless appeal and rugged feel continue to count it among the best Ideas for metal roofs for your residential and commercial roof projects.
- Stainless steel can withstand adverse weather conditions and will not crack or crack in extremely cold temperatures or strong winds. For this reason, stainless steel is ideal for any location with any type of extreme climate.
- Another unique aspect of this popular type of metal roof is that the material usually offers a generous guarantee. Most stainless steel roofing manufacturers offer a multi-year warranty because they trust that their product will last for years without having to be repaired or completely replaced.
- Just like roofs made of zinc and copper metal, stainless steel can be an important investment.
As you can see, because of its uniqueness, strength and versatility, metal roofing is one of the most famous roof types that are popular with homeowners. Aluminum, stainless steel, zinc and copper ensure the best Metal roofing ideas for the home, especially if you are looking for a roofing material that you won’t have to wait too long after installing it. You should consider metal roofing ideas if you need high quality roofing sheets for your residential or commercial roofing needs that will look crisp and stylish for years to come. Since metal roofs are less common in connection with residential buildings, your home will become a standout object on any street.
Images via Pinterest